The building projects in the works are below, more to come.
Roundhouse: Stabilization Complete.
Complete with a turntable, the Roundhouse was originally built by the Monongahela-Connecting Railroad circa 1887 to store and work on railroad engines. The building itself has evolved over the years, with various annexes and additions. In the early 2000’s CMU Robotics used the building as warehouse space in the early days of autonomous vehicles, to work on and test drive the vehicles on the site. However, with the many years of neglect, the building was in significant need of repair and remediation in order to preserve the structure for future re-use. Stay tuned for updates of its future redevelopment and use.
Mill 19: Two of Three Phases Underway!
The Mill 19 building is owned and under development by the Regional Industrial Development Corporation (RIDC). It is comprised of three phases - Phase A, B, and C - associated with the three new buildings under the steel framework that will make up a total of 260,000 square feet of new space at Hazelwood Green.
As of Summer 2019, the first tenants - Advanced Robotics for Manufacturing (ARM) and Carnegie Mellon University’s Manufacturing Futures Initiative - have moved into the first building (Phase A). The 90,000 sf building will also be occupied by Catalyst Connections. The second building (Phase B) is also under construction, with a yet to be announced tenant anticipated to occupy in February 2020.
Mill 19 was built circa 1943 by Jones & Laughlin to house munitions production during World War II. Following the war, it became a rolling mill, producing 10” bar steel. In the 1970’s when LTV Steel took control of the building it was then used to store coke oven brick. Mill 19 is approximately 100 feet wide and 1,200 feet long.